Sunday, July 19, 2009

When time gets tough, or at least short

Words of encouragement from a some what new vegan....

When things get tough, meaning time is short and you are so busy you can't remember what day it is, the first thing for me to go whacky is my eating habits. I get super lazy. I don't want to cook - not even a spaghetti, rice, a PBJ, or even a a bowl of cereal. Pathetic, I know. I want something quick, yummy or just kind of eh I don't care, but something that doesn't require the time to clean the dishes. So I eat out. Definitely not easy to do when vegan - hence Taco Bell and Chipotle a few days in a row. Oi. But, I do surprise myself in times like this. The thought never crossed my mind to eat meat or dairy and eggs on purpose. I didn't crave chicken or cheese just because I was tired and frustrated and worn out. So I give myself props for that. And it's not an easy thing to do. Although I must mention that Taco Bell and Chipotle does not consitute the image of health that I wish to portray. :-)

So this week I start with a much better stocked refrigerator and pantry with a gameplan for meals - some quick and some that require a little more time but are definitely worth it. The meals I am looking forward to this week include "meat"ball subs (one of my favorites, so quick and yummy), stuffed bell peppers, Indian something or other (I like to buy weird things that sound delicious and try them with rice or couscous), and last but not least my lentil and brown rice stoup. Yes, stoup. No, not a spelling error. I call it stoup because it's a mix between a soup (nice and brothy) and a stew (lovely and chunky). Definitely looking forward to that one. So is my husband, seeing he likes to ask for seconds and thirds when I make it.

2 comments:

  1. Lentil and Brown Rice "Stoup" recipe - coming tomorrow to a post for your reading enjoyment... and hopefully to your taste buds at some point.

    ReplyDelete