Thursday, July 23, 2009

Recipe - Lentil and Brown Rice "Stoup"

"Stoup" is my way of saying chunky soup - not quite a stew, not quite a soup - right in the middle. Quick and dirty, but great results. Pictures coming soon, seeing as I'm hoping to make this tomorrow night's dinner.

Recipe: Lentil and Brown Rice "Stoup"

Servings: 4-6 (depends on how much you want)

Time (approx): 45-50 minutes

Equipment:
- large stock pot - the double-handled kind is the best kind
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons

Ingredients:
- 12 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 cup dried brown or green lentils
- 1 cup short-grain brown rice
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup minced fresh parsley
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon whole celery seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt

Instructions:

1. Bring the water to a boil in a large stock pot. Add the lentils, rice, onion, parsley, garlic, oregano, thyme, pepper, celery seeds, and cinnamon. Lower the heat, cover loosely, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 45 minutes, or until the lentils and rice are tender.

2. Season with the salt to taste.

3. Stored in a covered container in the refrigerator, leftovers will keep for up to three days.

Some side notes and suggestions from me:
- I add in chopped carrots, celery, mushrooms, peppers, and zucchini. Or whatever else I feel like throwing in.
- Instead of 12 cups water or 12 cups vegetable broth, I mix it 50/50. I use a few of the vegan vegetable bouillon cubes - enough to make 6 cups of broth. Then add 6 cups water. A good mix so the end product isn't too watery, nor to brothy.
- So good in the end that my husband will asks for thirds! (And he's not vegan!)

2 comments:

  1. Quick note - serving size is not true, unless you read it as having soup for every meal for two days straight. My husband, mother-in-law, and I had this for dinner this evening and between the three of us we ate maybe one fourth of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great; lentils are one of my favorite soup ingredients! And I love that you call it "stoup" - very cute :)

    ReplyDelete