Thursday, July 9, 2009

Vegan learning curve

I'm not going to lie. This post was supposed to be about the places I love to eat some vegan food at. Until I, being the good blogger that I am called to verify ingredients before I told the internet about them, found out I was WRONG.

First up is Fuddrucker's. They have a great veggie burger. I even asked before hand about eggs (FYI their buns do contain eggs) there veggie burgers don't. So I've had a few in the last 6 weeks. Only today to find out they don't contain eggs but they do contain mozzarella cheese. Why?!?! Last I checked Mozzarella is NOT a veggie so why does it need to be in a veggie burger. So cross this joint off the list.

Moving on to Sugarbaker's Cafe. This is a cute locally owned bakery. And they have fantastic fresh fruit plates. A cup of fruit is under 2 bucks. A bowl is 8 bucks. And by bowl they mean a bucket. It fed myself and the kiddos with leftovers. Included yummy stuff like fresh strawberries, grapes, cantaloupe, pineapple etc. Also comes with their famous Strawberry Dressing. I LOVED this dressing. It was like a smoothie dressing for your fruit. The kids didn't like it which was great. More for me. Today I find out one of the ingredients is sour cream. Again what? Why? Scratch that off the list.

So lesson learned. Always ask specific questions. Don't think that the only bad thing in a veggie burger (which I ASSumed meant vegtable burger) is egg and ask if it just includes egg. Ask if it includes ANY dairy. Don't assume that a strawberry dressing is just strawberries and worst case senario some corn syrup. Who would have thought it was 1 cup strawberries and 1 cup sour cream. Shouldn't it be called Strawberry CREAM dressing since it includes equal amounts of strawberries to sour cream?

At least I still have Pei Wei and their awesome Tofu! I've seriously considered working there just to find out how they get their tofu so chewy!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment