Sunday, June 7, 2009

Welcome!

If you are reading this post then congratulations, you've stumbled on the first post ever for this blog. My name is Kristie and along with a few other people we are going to hopefully inspire you to completely change your diet habits, or maybe even just make a few small changes to help you lead a healthy, happy, brightly colored future without the dependence on animal products. For those of you who have already made the switch the we hope to help you to find new and exciting things to add to your vegan arsenal.

We'll post recipes with pictures, links to things we find interesting, books, vegan accessories and more. Being a vegan is more than just eating a certain way, it's a positive life altering choice and one we hope to inspire you to make also.

We are always up for constructive criticism so please feel free to let us know if we can improve something to make this blog more interesting, fun, helpful or all three.

As for me, here's my story to veganism. In June of 2008 I happened across an episode of 30 Days by Morgan Spurlock (see the entire episode if you click on that link). It was an episode where a meat lovin', gun totin' man went to live with a vegan family for 30 days. As I settled in on my sofa that night I thought to myself "Well, this is gonna be a good episode!" but it never occurred to me that it would catapult my entire way of eating and living. Right after the episode aired I made my way to my computer and went to PETA's website to Pledge To Be Veg for 30 days. I sent out a mass e-mail to my friends and family and challenged them to join in (not one person took me up on it) and thus began my 30 days of being a vegetarian.

During my 30 days I inhaled book after book, attended several vegan cooking classes and learned more than my meat loving brain could handle. By about the third week of being a vegetarian I knew I couldn't keep eating other animal products and wearing them on my body. I had learned so much and couldn't believe that this information wasn't widely shared.

This past year has been a HUGE learning process of how to change not only my eating and living habits but that of my two-year-old also. I've been met with intrigue, concern, eye rolling, support and love and it's been a fantastic journey that I am so proud to be taking. I know I'm doing the best thing I can for my family in so many ways. This change in eating has made me a better, more knowledgeable person on so many levels, not just the way I eat.

My hope for this blog is to inspire others to make changes, big and small, to better their life and the lives of their loved ones.

3 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to reading more on this blog. It would be interesting to see some step by step pictures of different recipes from beginning to completion. Keep up the good example and I think this will open up the minds of many people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when you made that pledge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of you! :)

    ReplyDelete