Monday, June 8, 2009

Melissa's Intro

Hi!
I live in a town that doesn't have a whole lot of options when it comes to being vegan. I don't do everything organic because my grocery stores don't have that large of a selection. Sure I could order online but organic is expensive enough without having to pay overnight shipping so the produce won't spoil! I also am not a fan of some of the out there stuff. I won't be making chick pea faux "tuna" sandwiches but I will be taking every day recipes and turning them into their better vegan counter parts! Have a favorite recipe you love but are nervous to convert it? Send it to me! I love challenges!

My road to veganism is also different. I've always been curious about it. Before my transition I could go through a gallon of milk a day. I have never liked red meat but chicken was my favorite. Flash forward to 2005 when I got pregnant with my son. Chicken made me sicker than a dog and literally repulsed me! So I stopped eating it. Then with my daughter pork and milk made me sick. So I stopped ingesting those things. Left my diet pretty bland. I tried to go back to drinking milk after I had my daughter and couldn't.

I was vegetarian 90% of the time. I ate eggs and used butter and milk in cooking for the last year plus. I did have milk occasionally but not like I used to! I sat back one day and evaluated my diet. I wasn't eating very many animal products but the food I was ingesting wasn't great at all. I needed to start eating healthier. So I went to Kristie! The woman eats some amazing stuff, has GREAT recipes and eats really really healthy! I may not have cool cooking classes, grocery stores, or other options she does but she does a GREAT job of helping me out and I also started researching and finding my own (semi) normal recipes. It's like putting on night vision goggles and seeing at night. I'm eating some amazing stuff that not only tastes great, it's not loaded down with artery clogging fats, oils, and man made "things". It's truly great food that tastes great! Who knew!

I've been vegan (officially) since June 1, 2009. I'll blog about grocery shopping as a new vegan, recipes, along with my trial and tribulations. I'll post about questions I have, reviews on recipes (and the failures!), new products etc. I'll ask the other posters their thoughts on issues I'm having, like how to enjoy tofu, or changes I notice with my body.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment