Friday, September 18, 2009

Nuggets without the gross stuff

My toddler LOVES faux nuggets. I HATE the price tag for vegan nuggets. I just can't justify spending $5 for a measly 12 nuggets. Plus, have you seen the ingredient list for vegan nuggets? It's all preservative this and nitrates that and well, you get the picture. So I had to think of a quick, easy way to get the nuggets my kid so likes.

About a month or so ago I made some homemade seitan, A LOT OF IT. I ended up putting most of it in freezer bags in the freezer until I could come up with something to do with it. We try to stay away from faux meat products for the most part but sometimes it just hits the spot. As I was contemplating my nugget delima it dawned on me that I could probably use my seitan to make nuggets.

I thawed the seitan out overnight, drained it from it's water and cut it into small chunks. I dipped it in soy milk flavored with some spicy mustard and then dredged it in a breadcrumb mixture and baked it for 30 minutes on 350 degrees. Perfection! The toddler was happy to have nuggets and I was happy to use my seitan.

I intend on making a large batch of seitan nuggets and storing them in the freezer for later use. I'll be able to save a few dollars and feed my kid something that has ingredients that I can actually pronounce and that weren't grown in a lab. I call that success!

No comments:

Post a Comment